223 W. 42nd Street, New York, NY 10036
Also known as Bryant, Minsky's Burlesque, New Apollo, Academy
Originally opened in 1910 as the Bryant, a vaudeville and movie house, this
theater was acquired ten years later by the Selwyn brothers. The theater
was rebuilt, renamed the Apollo, and given a new neo-classical/Georgian
style colonnaded facade on 42nd Street, which it would share with the
Selwyn's Times Square Theatre next door. The theaters were both designed
by architect Eugene DeRosa. The Apollo could seat 1197 and was designed
in Adam style, with 675 seats on the orchestra level, 495 in the balcony, and
27 in the boxes.
|Advert ca 1952
|The old Apollo is no longer the Hilton
Theatre, it is now The Foxwoods
Theatre. For current information and
great pictures of the renovated Apollo
and the adjoining Lyric Theatre
BEYER BLINDER BELLE
SACHS MORGAN STUDIO
|The legitimate era of the Apollo
lasted until 1933, and after being
forced into bankruptcy during the
Depression, the Apollo became home
to Minsky's Burlesque in late 1934.
By the late 30s, films made a return
to the Apollo, and the theater would
remain a grind house for decades
until the Brandt Organization made
an attempt to bring back live theater
to the Apollo in 1979, cleaning it up
and giving it a new marquee,
heralding the New Apollo.
Legitimate theater would be
short-lived, since in 1983, the Apollo
returned to screening movies.
Apollo's last incarnation would be
as the Academy, a concert hall. For
this, the theater's orchestra level
seats were removed and the floor
leveled, though the balcony seating
remained intact. The original decor
was uniformly covered in a dull
white paint. In 1996, after its days as
the Academy ended, most of the
Apollo's architectural elements were
removed, including the spectacular
dome from the auditorium ceiling,
to be reused in the Ford Center for
the Performing Arts (recently
renamed the Hilton Theatre), which
would be constructed on the site of
the Apollo and neighboring Lyric
Theatres upon their demolition.
- Information from the website
|The Foxwoods Theatre today (above and below). The proscenium,
side wall boxes and dome are original to the 1920 Apollo Theatre
according to the Sachs Morgan Studio website.
from a 1924 playbill.